Saturday, February 18, 2006

Adventure on the High Seas - I mean Road?!?

Good day, all!

Long time, no blog, I know. It's been a bit crazy - but when is it not??

I'm home with strep throat and a massive tonsil infection in my left tonsil which had started spreading to my right, but HOORAY for Dr. Daniels - the fixer of all things medical. I'm still contagious so I'm staying in the house today (Saturday). I stayed home yesterday too, but couldn't sleep at all. I tried - I promise!

Here is an adventure that I had with a couple of students on Tuesday. Our McKay area Honor Choir started practice on Tuesday (Valentine's Day of all days!). BUT, the person in charge of busing didn't fill out a form quite correctly so we had no buses available to get us to the middle school where we needed to practice. I have 15 students involved in Honor Choir so there was no way I could transport them all to the middle school. My librarian came up with the brilliant idea of just rehearsing them myself in my music room for the week. We were able to secure buses for NEXT WEEK. Whew. That is the back story for our Tuesday adventure.

The rehearsal went well. We practiced hard. My tonsil hurt, but I didn't know why at the time - now we do. I walked the kiddos out to the front of the school to wait for parents. All were picked up in a timely manner except two. We waited for almost an hour and called various contact numbers to no avail. My two students, Julio and Tyler, were starting to get worried because it was after 5:00pm at this point. I told them that I would leave messages for their families and then take them home myself.

A little note here - I am all but forbidden to take kids anywhere in my car, as are all employees of the district, but what am I supposed to do here? I just prayed that we wouldn't get in an accident and drove as carefully as I could. Gulp.

We piled in the car - Tyler in front, Julio in back. As we were turning onto the main drag towards Tyler's house he saw his dad in their Jeep and pointed him out to me. So, after praying and SWEARING to myself that I would be careful what do I do? Yep, flip a U-Turn and follow. As I was doing this I told the boys, "Don't EVER do what I am doing." Julio piped up from the back seat, "This is SO ILLEGAL!!" He was grinning and giggling galore! Tyler was laughing and keeping an eye on his dad. Too funny!

So we started the chase for Mr. Dad. We thought he was headed to our school, but he went towards the middle school. Then he turned down a random side street and proceeded to wander about the neighborhood. I saw him looking in the rear view mirror and figured he was trying to get away from the crazy blond. I was right. Tyler confirmed it the next day! We followed him for many crazy turns and it seemed like we were getting nowhere, so I pulled up beside him at a stop sign. He tried to zip away so I politely honked the horn. FINALLY he pulled over. I drove past him to park in front and pointed to Tyler, who was totally cracking up at this point! His dad glared and then smiled in recognition and waved. Tyler trotted back to the Jeep and we were 1 and 1 for kids getting home.

Julio moved up front to take over Tyler's role as shotgun (who wouldn't??). We headed out towards Julio's house. My cell phone rang, so I grabbed it - and it was Julio's mom! She was apologizing and was concerned because I had to take him home. I told her we were having a wonderful time and would be home in a bit. Julio continued to chuckle and smile.

As we were traveling towards his turn he looked in front of us and said, "I think that's my mom and sister in front of us!" I thought and then said, "NO WAY! It can't be!" Yep, it was! We followed them all the way home with Julio and I busting up and dying from laughter and irony! When we pulled into the driveway behind their car his little sister came flying out with a huge grin on her face. "Mrs. Drouhard!! I told my mom it was you behind us, but she wouldn't listen to me!" Julio's mom cracked up and we chatted about how funny and crazy the ride was. Julio grabbed his stuff and helped unload groceries. We were 2 and 0 for kids getting home.

Yes, this is a crazy funny story, but there are a couple of applications to be learned here. The first application hits home for me, and any of you that know me will whole heartedly agree!

James 3:8-9
"No man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God."

Application 1: In times past I would have been anxious and upset about parents not coming for their kids. I would have tried in my own strength to hide this frustration from my students and would have failed miserably. My tongue cannot be tamed by me. I HAVE to allow God to tame it, as I am learning in James. The book of James is seriously how to live for God 101 folks. Wonderfully practical and obvious. So, the Lord had the victory with my tongue and attitude, which made for a great time with my kids and their parents.


Application 2: I just finished reading Wild at Heart again because I needed a refresher course in men being men and me allowing them to be men with my whole being. Robert took this picture of me at the coast last weekend. It's one that I actually like of my whole body and everything. I can see changes now! He took this picture and then was going to sit beside me and watch the ocean. My heart thought, "How nice," but my head reminded me about what I had read. "No way, Robert. You go explore and I'll nap in the sun! Fun fun!" I tell you what, it was like I handed him the keys to the kingdom! Off he went, camera in hand, and climbed and crawled all over the rocky bluff. I napped in the sun and had a wonderful time, as did he. When he returned he had been on an adventure and was ready to share it all with me! How exciting!


As my two students and I were walking towards the car, God reminded me that men love adventure, as do women, so why not make this one? So I did! We laughed and laughed and chuckled and screamed and had a wonderful adventure together. I watched their eyes turn from worried and anxious to sparkling and mischievous with inner joy and excitement! I tell you what, I had as much fun or more than they did! It was also good for the parents to receive a jovial happy son instead of an anxious and upset son.

The Rest of the Story: When we met on Thursday for Honor Choir rehearsal in the music room, both Tyler and Julio's eyes were still full of secret adventure because they had not shared what happened with the other students. Of course, I gave them the floor and Tyler shared his half of the adventure, complete with sound effects and laughter. Then I turned it over to Julio, just waiting to see Tyler's reaction - he didn't know about the second parental following! As Julio told his half of the adventure Tyler literally fell back onto the risers and busted up laughing, legs flailing, stomach clutched, eyes squeezed shut, body shaking with belly laughs! All 15 students and their teacher stopped and laughed and laughed and laughed! It was a wonderful moment for all of us.

Now I see that when God is in control of my tongue He can turn ANY situation into a sweet and wonderful thing. I am humbled and grateful for being allowed to take part in such a wonderful moment in time with my students. Both of these boys are wonderful. One is supported and loved at home, and one is not. I am in awe that God used me to bring love and adventure into both of their lives. Wow... powerful and overwhelming.

This last picture is of boys being boys at the coast - they almost were swept out to sea and LOVED it!

3 comments:

psychobob said...

Wow wifey!!! I am so proud of you! Thank you for letting me go on adventures. And I am excited to go on many other adventures with you! YAY GOD!!!

beula the music geek said...

Thanks, honey! I have so much fun with you on adventures - safe and yet exciting! It's been a long time coming, but we are getting there!!

wifey

Danny said...

hey sissy! Again, so much fun reading your posts! Looking forward to having an adventure with you in June!